This post contains an affiliate link, which means we may earn a small commission if you make a purchase through our links. There is no added cost for you.
I love a good self-help or personal development book. And summer is the perfect time to catch up on some reading. The only problem is there are so many great self-help books to choose from!
This list was compiled from suggestions from my amazing Facebook fans. I’m sure you’ll find something that piques your interest. And feel free to leave additional book recommendations in the comments.
- Why Is it Always about You: The 7 Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss
- The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans
- Hold Me Tight by Sue Johnson
- Who’s Pulling Your Strings by Harriet Braiker
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
Codependency and Boundaries
- Codependent No More by Melody Beattie
- Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
- Take Control of Your Life: Escape the Grip of Codependency by James Richards
- Don’t Call it Love by Gregory Jantz and Tim Clinton
- Let Go Now: Embracing Detachment by Karen Casey
- The Disease to Please by Harriet Braiker
- Adult Children of Alcoholics by Janet Woititz
Books for Women
- Women Who Love Too Much by Robin Norwood
- Why Does He Do That? By Lundy Bancroft
- Mothers Who Can’t Love: A Healing Guide for Daughters by Susan Forward
- The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis
- The Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner
- 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn’t Quit by Nicki Koziarz
Trauma and Healing
- Trauma and Recovery by Judith Herman
- The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van der Kolk
- You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
Spirituality and Personal Growth Books
- Hallelujah Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy By Anne Lamott
- The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
- How to Be Here: A Guide to Creating a Life Worth Living by Rob Bell
- A course in Miracles by Alan Cohen
- The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck
- The Purpose of Driven Life by Rick Warren
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
- I Thought It Was Just Me (But it Isn’t) by Brene Brown
- You are a Badass by Jen Sincero
- Love Warrior by Glennon Melton Doyle
- Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff
- Forgive for Good by Fred Luskin
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
- Reinventing Your Life by Jeffrey Young and Janet Klosko
- Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey
More reading lists
What are your favorite self-help books? Please let us know about any that address codependency, self-esteem, or healthy relationships in the comments section below.
©2017 Sharon Martin, LCSW. All rights reserved.
Coming October 2021!
The Better Boundaries Workbook
A step-by-step guide to setting boundaries in all areas of your life.